NEW YORK — The NFL will consider dropping the Pro Bowl if the level of play doesn’t improve, commissioner Roger Goodell said Monday night.
Appearing on SiriusXM NFL Radio’s “Town Hall,” Goodell agreed with host Michael Strahan that last January’s Pro Bowl “was embarrassing.”
“If we cannot accomplish that kind of standard (of high play), I am inclined to not play it,” Goodell said. “It is really tough to force competition, and after a long season, to ask those guys to go out and play at the same level they played is really tough.”
The league still would select a Pro Bowl team through voting by players, coaches and fans, because it is an honor, but “just not play the game,” he said.
The Pro Bowl will take place in January, a week before the Super Bowl, after the players lobbied to keep it, promising to upgrade their performances. Goodell and others were disappointed in the quality of last year’s Pro Bowl, won 59-41 by the AFC and missing any semblance of hard hitting.