It’s almost that time beauties–New Year’s Eve! This is the day we leave all bad things in our past and all good things are to come. But what’s most important is the night’s festivities, which include drinking of course. But here’s the thing…many of us have been toasting and cheersing all wrong and we didn’t even know it!
MUST READ: How To Open A Bottle Of Champagne
A toast is the perfect way to recognize a special occasion or celebration, especially during New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day. But what is the appropriate way to make a toast? #TeamBeautiful linked up with internationally-recognized etiquette expert and author and founder of The Protocol School of Palm Beach, Jacqueline Whitmore and she set us straight with toasting tips. You’ll never get it wrong again:
1. Follow the host’s lead. It’s appropriate for the host to propose a toast at the beginning of the meal to welcome all the guests. After the host makes his toast, anyone else can propose a toast.
2. Keep it brief. The toast is more memorable if you keep the three S’s in mind: keep it short, simple and sincere. Remember, you’re giving a toast, not a roast.
3. Toast during the beginning or at the end of the meal. A toast is most appropriate before everyone begins eating or during the dessert course.
4. Everyone drinks except the guest of honor. If you’re the one being toasted, don’t touch your glass or don’t drink to yourself. It’s like patting yourself on your own back. When the host sits down, you’ll be expected to return the toast and then you may drink.
5. Always participate in a toast. Even if you don’t drink alcohol, it’s perfectly acceptable to toast with a soft drink, a glass of sparkling cider, or mineral water. Or you can raise a glass of wine or champagne to your lips, pretend to drink it and then set it aside.
6. It’s not necessary to clink glasses. In some cultures, this is considered bad form and should be avoided. When in doubt, watch the host. If you’re in a small group, you should always look each person in the eye when you lift your glass. You can complete the toast by saying something like, “Cheers” or “Bottoms Up.”
Countdown Cocktails For Your New Year's Eve Bash
1. Berry Bubbly1 of 12
2. Ciroc 752 of 12
3. Ciroc Amaretto Royal3 of 12
4. Ciroc Celebracion4 of 12
5. Ciroc Midnight Toast5 of 12
6. Countdown Cocktail6 of 12
7. Midnight Kiss7 of 12
8. Top Shelf Toast8 of 12
9. Ciroc Amaaretto Tiramisu9 of 12
10. Chocolate Coconut Latte10 of 12
11. Cinnamon Bun-derful11 of 12
12. Cafe Cinnabourbon12 of 12
I’ll Drink To That: Don’t Clink Glasses + 5 Other Toast Tips That Will Make You Look Classy was originally published on hellobeautiful.com