Lolawolf killed it last night.
Led by the badass Zoe Kravitz, Lolawolf had Austin’s Parish Underground venue lit during SXSW.
As I sat off to the side of this small bar with a stage, drinking Tito’s and wondering why the guy up there was singing about being so fucking rich he could buy a robot to scratch his fucking itch, I started to wonder if I made the wrong choice this evening.
I was one of those people who was deeply in love with Zoe, but never pressed play on any of her songs. I had no clue what to expect. I could only try to get as many drinks into my system as possible while this guy continued to sit on stage, playing a guitar and singing about drunken sex in the bathroom of a party.
I felt dirty, and chalked up the wait as time to rest my feet and let the Tex Mex, BBQ, and vodka in my belly get to know each other.
Another band came on stage, their guitar player was dressed like Abu from Aladdin for some reason, but he was really fucking good. More people filled into the venue and then…it was time. I walked up to the stage and got ready to see my cinnamon apple.
Zoe came out wearing a wife beater and blue jeans. She was putting on her ear piece, which wasn’t working. Her mic was a little off and for some reason, the sound guys couldn’t get band members Jimmy Giannopoulos and James Levy’s equipment to work right.
This pissed Zoe off, and they apparently cut their time because it was taking them so long to set up. Lolawolf was scheduled to perform at 9 p.m. and it was only 9:10 p.m. At a hip-hop concert, that’s considered early.
Zoe mouthed something to Jimmy, something like, ‘I’m so fucking pissed off right now, fuck it.’ Then she addressed the crowd: “So apparently technology doesn’t work.”
Then God intervened and everything was great. The sound guys got their act together and the show started. As Zoe sang and asked for some levels to be adjusted in between, eventually the band sounded pretty damn awesome.
Zoe had everyone’s attention as she sang and danced and got into her zone. When she performed “Ayo” and broke out the drum routine – in which she hit the drum with one stick and James hit it with the other – the crowd got hyped.
Everyone had their phones up, including me, but eventually I put it away to just enjoy the show.
Lola performed their hit “Calm Down,” but the highlight was the last song “Bitch,” as Zoe gyrated to the strings and just enjoyed being the “badass bitch that nobody heard, but everybody heard of.” If they keep this up, it won’t be the case for long.
I left the show knowing I had to pick up the Lolawolf album, and really, isn’t that the ultimate goal?
PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
Zevolution: 20 Times Zoe Kravitz Effortlessly Slayed Her Drip
1. Zoe rocks flare jeans in 2005.Source:Wenn 1 of 19
2. Zoe looks sweet and innocent on the red carpet in 2007.Source:Wenn 2 of 19
3. Zoe chops her bangs for a slightly darker look.Source:Wenn 3 of 19
4. Zoe's personal style gets an edge.Source:Wenn 4 of 19
5. Zoe rocks bold print and a slit on the red carpet.Source:Wenn 5 of 19
6. All grown up. Zoe channels Michelle Pfeiffer in "Scarface" and nails it.Source:Wenn 6 of 19
7. Zoe strolls through NYC in quirky hat and sunglasses.Source:Wenn 7 of 19
8. Zoe looks cute and stylish in white mini dress and blue tights.Source:Wenn 8 of 19
9. Zoe shows some skin in all black everything.Source:Wenn 9 of 19
10. More skin and more all black everything.Source:Wenn 10 of 19
11. Zoe takes a break on the darker colors and goes for a more angelic look.Source:Wenn 11 of 19
12. It's safe to say Zoe Kravitz is a definite fan of all black everything.Source:Instagram 12 of 19
13. Zoe looks cozy and fashion forward in NYC.Source:Wenn 13 of 19
14. Zoe rocks platinum blonde hair and a plunging red dress for the red carpet.Source:Wenn 14 of 19
15. Zoe ditches her blonde locks for braids instead. And everyone approved.Source:Instagram 15 of 19
16. Zoe looks cool and stylish in NYC.Source:Wenn 16 of 19
17. Zoe looks sleek and sophisticated and lets her long hair flourish in a black dress.Source:Wenn 17 of 19
18. Grown and sexy.Source:Wenn 18 of 19
19. Met Gala 2017.Source:Getty 19 of 19
Lolawolf’s Zoe Kravitz Shows SXSW She’s The Badass Bitch You Should Have Heard By Now was originally published on globalgrind.com