Racist sticks stating, “Exclusively For White People” have somehow surfaced on nearly a dozen storefronts in Austin, Texas because the south. This blatant display of racism is one microaggression of many that have been making Black people feel like we’re in a constant time machine. It was just last week that a man was discovered hanging lifeless from a tree in Mississippi. And let’s not even start the list of Black lives slain at the hands of White police officers.
The stickers bear a striking resemblance to the official logo of the Texas capital. Not only do they offensively say the stores are for Whites only, but they say that a “maximum of five colored customers” are allowed inside at once. Staff of color are the only exceptions. Well isn’t that nice! The unauthorized signs look as if they’re sanctioned by the city, but Austin Mayor Steve Adler says they were not produced by Austin or knowingly displayed. At least eight restaurants and retail shops were defaced and have since taken them down.
“This is an appalling and offensive display of ignorance in our city,” Adler said in a statement. “Austin condemns this type of hurtful behavior. Our city is a place where respect for all people is a part of our spirit and soul. We will keep it that way.”
Austin recently welcomed more Black people than the town usually has as SXSW just wrapped, bringing music lovers from all over the world to the southern city. We wonder if those stickers were seen by the SXSW crowd? According to reports, the stickers were put up early Thursday morning between midnight and 7 a.m. Party goers probably stumbled right by those racist stickers. Austin police are still hunting down the racist culprits. And once they find them, then what?
We wonder if Kanye West still thinks racism is dated?
Trayvon Martin's 20th Birthday: A Timeline Of Racial Issues That Have Plagued Black America
1. Trayvon Martin's Life Wasn't In Vain1 of 19
2. 1995: The OJ Simpson VerdictSource: 2 of 19
3. 1996: Texaco Pays Over $170 Million In A Racial Discrimination Case3 of 19
4. 1997: Stephen Lawrence's Alleged Murderers Exposed4 of 19
5. 1998: The Death Of James Bryd, Jr.Source: 5 of 19
6. 2000: Former Black Panther Jamil Abdullah Al-Amin Is Accused of Murder6 of 19
7. 2002: Donovan Jackson Chavis & Inglewood Cops7 of 19
8. 2003: Scranton, Pennslyvania's Skinhead Epidemic & Ousmane Zongo8 of 19
9. 2005: Hurricane Katrina9 of 19
10. 2006: Sean BellSource: 10 of 19
11. 2007: Don Imus Calls Female Basketball Team "Nappy Headed Hoes"Source: 11 of 19
12. 2009: Oscar GrantSource: 12 of 19
13. 2010: Aiyana Stanley-Jones, Dead at 7-Years-OldSource: 13 of 19
14. 2011: The Capital Punishment of Troy DavisSource: 14 of 19
15. 2012: Jordan Davis & Trayvon Martin15 of 19
16. 2014: #BlackLivesMatter: Eric Garner, Michael Brown, Renisha McBride, Antonio Martin, John Crawford, Tamir Rice & MoreSource: 16 of 19
17. 2015: We Shall Overcome17 of 19
Before You Go Shopping In Texas, Make Sure The Store Isn’t ‘Exclusively For White People’ was originally published on hellobeautiful.com