“King Kunta” symbolizes strength, power, unity – not just within an individual, but an entire community.
Kendrick Lamar offers up a behind the scenes look at his Director X-directed “King Kunta” music video. “The Blacker The Berry” rapper shot the music video in his hometown of Compton, California, and was accompanied by everyone in the tough town.
The three-minute visual features Kendrick rallying his closest friends to shoot high-energy intimate scenes inside and outside a classic Compton crib. It also features an elderly man explaining the meaning behind “King Kunta” and the importance of community.
“King Kunta” is featured on Kendrick’s acclaimed To Pimp A Butterfly album, which is currently available on iTunes.
Watch K.Dot’s behind the scenes up top.
11 Reasons To Love SZA (PHOTOS)
1. Because she's down with the boys (The TDE boys that is).1 of 11
2. She's a natural hair icon in every right.2 of 11
3. I mean, LOOK AT THAT HAIR.3 of 11
4. Because she runs in a circle of equally gorgeous friends.4 of 11
5. She's a vegan, but she's not afraid to indulge in some junk food. #Shameless5 of 11
6. Because she's a yogi.6 of 11
7. Because she brings a whole new definition to tom-boy chic.7 of 11
8. And she still knows how to dress it up.8 of 11
9. And she knows how to do Fashion Week justice.9 of 11
10. And just as easily go back to her tom-boy tendencies with style.10 of 11
11. Because she's adorable. Duh!11 of 11
BEHIND THE SCENES: Kendrick Lamar “King Kunta” (VIDEO) was originally published on globalgrind.com