A New York City police officer is in critical condition after being shot in the head in Queens last night.
According to CNN:
Officer Brian Moore of the New York City Police Department’s Anti-Crime Unit was being treated at Jamaica Hospital Medical Center, where he had emergency surgery, Police Commissioner Bill Bratton told reporters Saturday.
A man was taken into custody in connection with the shooting, which is still under investigation, Bratton said.
Moore and another officer, Erik Jansen, allegedly pulled up to a guy to inquire about him adjusting something on his waistband.
The man, identified as Demetrius Blackwell, allegedly pulled his gun out and shot at both officers. Moore was shot in the head and Jansen called for help.
The site continues:
New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio was at the hospital where Moore was taken. He praised the officer’s service.
“He is a brave young man … he comes from a police family. This is what he wanted to do with his life. He wanted to be a New York City police officer. He wanted to serve and he did so with great distinction,” de Blasio said.
According to reports, Moore was not wearing his uniform and was sitting in an unmarked car at the time of the shooting. We pray for his healthy recovery.
SOURCE: CNN | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
Justice For Mike Brown: Powerful Pictures From The Ferguson Police Protests (PHOTOS)
1. Police carrying rifles in riot gear approach a young unarmed man in Ferguson.1 of 18
2. A man protests as a wall of police hold tight in Ferguson.2 of 18
3. Officers in riot gear advance on protestors.3 of 18
4. Protestors hold their hands high in the night sky to signify they are unarmed. Michael Brown was unarmed when he was shot by a Ferguson police officer.4 of 18
5. A child covers his face with a shirt after police fire tear gas into a crowd.5 of 18
6. Officers stand guard after firing tear gas into the crowd.6 of 18
7. A man holds a sign in honor of Michael Brown, the unarmed teen who was killed by Ferguson police on Saturday, August 9, 2014.7 of 18
8. Police in a tactical vehicle travel down Ferguson streets to meet protestors.8 of 18
9. A protestor holds up a sign calling for the arrest of the officer who shot Michael Brown.9 of 18
10. Residents stand in front of a message for police, scribbled on a building in Ferguson.10 of 18
11. A man approaches a wall of police holding off protestors.11 of 18
12. A man delivers a powerful message in the form of a t-shirt.12 of 18
13. Residents flee after police fire tear gas into the crowd.13 of 18
14. A memorial of candles, flowers and stuffed animals decorate the spot where Michael Brown was shot to death.14 of 18
15. Police in riot gear and sticks stand guard at a store destroyed in Ferguson riots.15 of 18
16. A woman holds a powerful sign.16 of 18
17. A young man shows reporters where a rubber bullet fired by Ferguson police injured him.17 of 18
18. St. Louis resident and reporter on the ground Antonio French stands in the middle of a cloud after police fire tear gas into the crowd.18 of 18
NYPD Officer In Critical Condition After Being Shot In The Head was originally published on globalgrind.com