Love is a beautiful thing, but when love challenges society’s standards and still manages to thrive, it’s stunning. Trans love is just that. It’s a “revolutionary act,” according to trans man, Tiq Milan. We all have a different idea as to what love looks like and while we’re challenging those ideals everyday, there’s some people in society who don’t realize that love is universal and finds its way into all hearts.
“My mother’s biggest fear was that no one was going to love me. That’s an idea that’s commonplace, that transgender people aren’t going to be love d or going to receive love and our lives are filled with isolation and detachment,” Tiq said. “We are happy, healthy and deserving of love.”
NBC BLK interviewed Tiq and his wife Kim and other trans couples, Olympia Perez and Sasha Alexander and Janai and Sean Coleman and they asked them about how they met, what love is to them and how they overcome the hardships of being trans. The result is a beautiful display love conquering all odds.
Meet the couples and check out the sweetest things they’ve said about each other:
Tiq & Kim Milan
These two met on Facebook. Tiq would message Kim over and over for months at a time and she finally responded. Within three days, they were in love and within two months, they were married.
“I realized that for each other, we were each the ideal. This was not a possibility, this is exactly the person we’ve both been searching for,” Kim Milan says.
Olympia Perez & Sasha Alexander
Sasha hosted an event called Black trans health is wealth and Olympia attended. They fell in love.
“He is majestic. There is no word to describe him, who he is in the world, the aura around him when I look at him. He is beautiful. He reminds me of who I am in the world and I deserve the love I am getting and I am surrounded by.”
Janai & Sean Coleman
They met at a party–well, a ball. They tell people it was a party. It was Janai’s first, but Sean was a pro. Janai was in awe, friended him on Facebook and the rest was a history of liked pictures and love.
“It’s a beautiful thing to be with a person who gets you, honors you and a person I know that’s as invested in me and us as I am. I go to sleep at night and I’m comforted in the fact that this is my husband.”
So much love. We’re swooning.
Out & Proud: A Year In LGBTQi
1. Sherri Shepherd Had To Apologize For Perceived Anti-Gay Comments1 of 13
2. Porsha Gave An Anti-Gay Sermon & Had To Apologize2 of 13
3. Piers Morgan Got It All Wrong WIth Trangender Activist Janet Mock3 of 13
4. Anti-Gay Africa: Nigerian President Signs Act To Imprison LGBTQ CommunitySource: 4 of 13
5. NeNe Calls Kenya's Gay Friend A "Queen"Source: 5 of 13
6. Stunning Photos Of Lesbian Couples That Melted Our HeartsSource: 6 of 13
7. Beauty Queen Djuan Trent Becomes 1st National Pageant Contestant To Come Out The ClosetSource: 7 of 13
8. My Bad: ‘Fashion Queens’ Host Bevy Smith Apologizes For Gay Comment On TwitterSource: 8 of 13
9. New Children’s Book Series Highlights Gay Families Of ColorSource: 9 of 13
10. ESPN Apologizes For Michael Sam Shower Report, But Why Was It Even A Topic?!Source: 10 of 13
11. Gay Marriage Wins This Year11 of 13
12. Transgender Sailor's Discharge Puts Pressure On Ending Ban12 of 13
13. LGBT Group At St. Patrick's Day Parade13 of 13
Black Trans Couples Share Their Inspiring Love Stories & You’re Going To Feel All The Feels was originally published on hellobeautiful.com