With music flowing through his DNA, it’s no surprise Evan Ross is pressing pause on his acting career to pursue a career in music.
Over the past year, Evan’s been recording tirelessly with his longtime friend and musical mentor Dallas Austin. After enlisting T.I. to lace his new single “How To Live Alone” with a dope verse, we caught up with Evan at the Westwood W hotel in Los Angeles just hours before he was scheduled to step foot on stage.
During our time together, Evan discussed in detail how he became good friends with legendary producer Dallas Austin, his mother Diana Ross not being a stage mom, his new single “How To Live Alone,” and of course, his marriage to pop star Ashlee Simpson.
But what’s an interview with Evan Ross without a great story about Michael Jackson?
On the six-year anniversary of Michael Jackson’s untimely death, we asked Evan to share a great MJ story with us, and what he shared was absolutely fascinating.
Evan’s currently readying his major label debut, which is scheduled to drop later on this year. Watch his exclusive interview up top.
20 Interesting Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Michael Jackson
1. MJ was a victim of physical abuse from his father as a child. In an interview with Oprah Winfrey, he shed tears and claimed that he was so terrified of his father that he would often vomit when he saw him.Source:Getty 1 of 20
2. His favorite animated character from childhood was Pinocchio.Source:Getty 2 of 20
3. When MJ listened to the songs from his days in The Jackson 5, he said he sounded like "Minnie Mouse."Source:Getty 3 of 20
4. His middle name was Joseph - Michael Joseph Jackson.Source:Getty 4 of 20
5. "Billie Jean" is allegedly based on a true story. MJ claims an obsessive fan tried to say he was the father of her child.Source:Getty 5 of 20
6. His first song to hit the top of the Billboard Hot 100 chart was "Ben" in 1972.Source:Getty 6 of 20
7. MJ was a huge Beatles fan. He paid $47 million for the publishing rights to the Beatles back catalogue in 1985 and sold a share of it to Sony in 1995 for $95 million.Source:Getty 7 of 20
8. Get this… The costumes for the "Thriller" video came from the Salvation Army.Source:Getty 8 of 20
9. Jackson invented and owns the patent for the special anti-gravity boots he wore that allowed him to lean forward extremely far in live performances of "Smooth Criminal."Source:Getty 9 of 20
10. MJ loved animals, and had several…strange pets. He had a python called Crusher, two llamas called Louis and Lola, and his most famous pet was Bubbles, the chimpanzee.Source:Getty 10 of 20
11. Sources say MJ "borrowed" the Moonwalk from street dancers he saw outside a hotel.Source:Getty 11 of 20
12. The original song title for "Thriller" was "Starlight."Source:Getty 12 of 20
13. Sources say MJ slept in an oxygen tent to live longer and for cosmetic purposes.Source:Getty 13 of 20
14. MJ was a proud owner of a 2,700-acre Neverland Ranch that has a theme park, a menagerie, and a movie theater.Source:Getty 14 of 20
15. "Home Alone" star Macaulay Culkin was one of MJ's closest friends, and is the godfather of two of Jackson's children.Source:Getty 15 of 20
16. MJ's estate signed a deal with Sony that gave them access to his unreleased recordings for $250 million.Source:Getty 16 of 20
17. MJ often wore a black armband to remind people of the suffering of children around the world.Source:Getty 17 of 20
18. The Los Angeles mansion he was renting just before he passed away once belonged to Sean Connery.Source:Getty 18 of 20
19. MJ was allegedly a pretty avid reader… He was once accused by a library of owing $1 million in overdue book fines.Source:Getty 19 of 20
20. Wikipedia, Twitter, and AOL's Instant Messenger all crashed at 3:15PM on the day MJ died: June 25, 2009.Source:Getty 20 of 20
Evan Ross Discusses New Music, Mentorship With Dallas Austin, His Mom Diana, & Michael Jackson was originally published on globalgrind.com