Last night, we got a quick glimpse at what an Empire and Pepsi collaboration could look like – Jamal Lyon at the helm, elevating the world with his intoxicating voice…Cookie and Lucious fueling his fire at the production level.
You’ll be pleased to learn it’s all becoming a reality now, as Jamal (played by Jussie Smollett) will star in a 60-second commercial that’ll air in between Empire scenes on December 2nd of this year.
When the mid-season finale of hip-hop drama “Empire” debuts on Fox December 2nd, viewers may have a hard time figuring out when a segment of the show ends and a commercial for Pepsi begins. That will be by design.
On that night, the writers of “Empire” will cap off a storyline that will have been brewing for three weeks: Jamal Lyon, one of the central characters of the hit show, will nab an all-important commercial endorsement from Pepsi, which in turn will use one of his songs as part of a new ad campaign. As characters on the show prepare to take a gander at Lyon’s new commercial, the show will break for one: a 60-second spot from Pepsi featuring the character and the song. And once the ad – directed by “Empire” creator and executive producer Lee Daniels (above, right) – is complete, viewers will immediately see the next scene of “Empire” start to unfurl.
Change is in the air over at Pepsi headquarters. Adam Harter, who serves as vice president of cultural connections for Pepsi’s beverage business in North America, had this to say about snagging Empire for the revolutionary ad:
“We need to find different ways to get people to talk about our brands,” said Adam Harter, vice president of cultural connections for Pepsi’s beverage business in North America. “We still believe in the 30-second spot, but you have to do so much more than that.”
We’ll certainly be tuning in. We can’t get enough of those Lyons.
SOURCE: Variety | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
20 Reasons Taraji P. Henson Is Our Favorite Girl In Hollywood (PHOTOS)
1. Because that one eyebrow is ALWAYS on fleek.1 of 20
2. Because she's a Howard University woman.2 of 20
3. Because she's serving EVERYTHING on Fox's new hit show "Empire."3 of 20
4. Because we all have a little "Yvette" from "Baby Boy" in us. (And some of us have had a Jody in our lives too).4 of 20
5. Because somehow she manages to make every selfie on Instagram look like a full-fledged photoshoot.5 of 20
6. Because she's never afraid to take off the heels and just be a down chick.6 of 20
7. Because she's never hesitant to show love to other sisters in Hollywood.7 of 20
8. Because this reminds us of something we would do in the pool. Basically...we're all Taraji.8 of 20
9. Because she uses her celebrity for the causes that mean the most.9 of 20
10. That hair!10 of 20
11. Because her filmography is more diverse than people who've been in the game longer than her (and we must say...better).11 of 20
12. Because she rocked this patterned ensemble on the 'Gram and now we wish we had one.12 of 20
13. Because no matter the role, the time period, or the emotion, she's spot on.13 of 20
14. Did we mention the hair?14 of 20
15. All of these movies...ALL OF THEM.15 of 20
16. Because she got a chance to do this to Idris Elba. It's not fair, but that's our girl, so we're happy for her.16 of 20
17. Because she's always a little DMV (D.C., Maryland, Virginia) wherever she goes (even when she's rocking a NY hat).17 of 20
18. There goes that hair...18 of 20
19. Need we say more?19 of 20
20. And because she'll always be the relatable girl next door that we love. Never change, Taraji!20 of 20
Pepsi Snags Jussie Smollett For Innovative “Empire” Commercial was originally published on globalgrind.com