Leave a comment

Cook County State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez announced no charges will be filed against a Chicago police officer who fatally shot a Black man last year.

Video of Ronald Johnson‘s shooting was released by Alvarez’s office during a press conference explaining key details of the video on Monday. The shooting happened eight days before Laquan McDonald was also fatally shot by officer Jason Van Dyke in October 2014.

Officer George Hernandez was in pursuit of Johnson, 25, who was allegedly armed with a gun. Reports stated while Johnson was fleeing the scene, he pointed a gun at Hernandez. The video, taken from the dash cam of a squad car, doesn’t show the moment Johnson was shot by Hernandez.

The Huffington Post reports:

Alvarez said following the investigation she concluded that Hernandez’s actions were “reasonable and permissible” since Johnson resisted officers and was running toward a police vehicle and a city park while they believed he was armed. 

Johnson was leaving a party near Washington Park on the city’s South Side when the car he was a passenger in was shot at multiple times but an unknown gunman, Alvarez said. Neither Johnson nor the three other people in the car were hurt. 
 
[…]
 
Alvarez said Johnson was spotted by police officers near the scene and the officers ordered him to stop and drop his weapon. 
 
The grainy dash cam footage shows Johnson running toward the park, Hernandez pulling up to the scene, exiting the car and firing on Johnson. Alvarez said there was “physical struggle” between a Chicago police officer and Johnson before the shooting, but that it was not captured on the dash cam video. 

Johnson was struck by the bullets and fell face down.

Alvarez said the video didn’t have audio, therefore it was linked with zone communication from the incident.

Johnson’s mother Dorothy Holmes filed a wrongful death suit weeks after the shooting. The family’s attorney, Michael Oppenheimer, told reporters last week he believes officials are involved in a cover-up.

SOURCE: The Huffington PostFox 32 Chicago | VIDEO CREDIT: Inform

SEE ALSO:

Chicago Police Department’s Chief Of Detectives Resigns Following Announcement Of DOJ Investigation

DOJ To Launch Investigation Into Chicago Police Department

Also On Hot 96.3:
comments – Add Yours