Beginning her career in 2008, the star has always been focused on her music and connecting with fans, but with starting around the same time as fellow soul singer Adele, Jazmine has faced a multitude of comparisons over the years.
And, often times, the comparisons run deeper than music. Many argue that mainstream media and its audience lean towards White R&B artists rather than Black R&B artists.
However, while the road to success for the two stars have taken slightly different turns, Jazmine chooses not focus on the negative.
She told AP, “I guess I’m glad that people are recognizing me in some way, and kind of see there’s a little injustice in how black soul artists are received. But, at the same time, I try not to focus so much on the negativity.”
Outside of race, it’s easy to compare the two artists: They came onto the scene the same year, have both put out three albums, are both regarded as very talented singers, and of course, have both received a great deal of award nominations.
But, the divide begins truly begins to show when among the 11 Grammy nominations Jazmine has received, she has yet to walk away with one of the prized awards, whereas her counterpart Adele has won 10 out of the 13 Grammy she’s been nominated for. And while both artist took a hiatus, Adele’s 25 album reached multiplatinum success in its first week while Jazmine’s album Reality Show only sold 30,000 in the first part of 2015.
Regardless, Jazmine continues stays optimistic.
This year, the singer is nominated for three Grammy awards including, Best R&B Song and Best Traditional R&B Performance for single “Let it Burn” and Best R&B Album for Reality Show.
In regards to her Grammy snubs from previous years, she told the publication, “I work really hard on my music,” she says. “They acknowledge the effort. And hopefully I’ll take it home one day.”
The Grammy Awards premieres Feb. 15.
Alicia Keys' Iconic Cornrows Were Once Your Hairspiration
1. Don't you miss this Alicia?Source:Getty 1 of 15
2. Admit it - you wanted Alicia Keys' cornrows in middle school.Source:Getty 2 of 15
3. Ahh, the early 2000s...Source:Getty 3 of 15
4. The good ol' days.Source:Getty 4 of 15
5. Pre-Swizz Beatz.Source:Getty 5 of 15
6. Oh, flare jeans.Source:Getty 6 of 15
7. She brought cornrows to the Grammys.Source:Getty 7 of 15
8. Alicia accessorized her signature look with countless hats...Source:Getty 8 of 15
9. ...and wraps.Source:Getty 9 of 15
10. "Songs In A Minor"-era.Source:Getty 10 of 15
11. Remember this moment from the 2001 MTV VMAs?Source:Getty 11 of 15
12. Has she just always been flawless?Source:Getty 12 of 15
13. "I keep on fallin', iiiiiiiin..."Source:Getty 13 of 15
14. Pulling off the duck lips better than you.Source:Getty 14 of 15
15. The many hairstyles of Alicia Keys are basically iconic.Source:Getty 15 of 15
Jazmine Sullivan Dishes About Adele Comparisons And Grammy Snubs In Latest Interview was originally published on globalgrind.com