During Halloween season, it’s not uncommon for students to show up to school dressed up in costumes on “special dress up” days at school.
However, with racial tensions high, a simple costume can quickly receive backlash, just ask Claire Kemp.
According to Hip Hop DX, Kemp who is white female high school student from Clearwater, Florida decided that it’d be cool to show up for “Character Day” dressed as Florida rapper Kodak Black and now she’s facing some backlash, specifically for her Bantu knots hairstyle.
Since receiving backlash, Kemp has made a statement standing by her decision to wear the costume:
“People kept saying it was racist. I had never even heard of Bantu knots until today—I thought I was just doing Kodak’s hairstyle,” she says in an interview with Daily Dot. “Racism is still a big issue, but they don’t know it’s an issue that I care about. They don’t know me or who I hang out with or what I do.”
Although, Kemp is receiving a lot of backlash, there are some people who share Kemp’s frustrations and are showing support.
SOURCE: Hip Hop DX | IMAGE CREDIT: Twitter
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Fright Night: The 15 Worst Celebrity Halloween Costumes Ever
15 photos Launch gallery
1. Heidi Klum may be the queen of Halloween, but her old lady costume was more creepy than shocking.
1 of 15
2. Al Roker as Oprah is not something we want to see again.
2 of 15
3. Thumbs up for Katy Perry’s eclectic spirit, but out of all the snacks to be for Halloween, a Cheeto is not one.
3 of 15
4. We love Jessica White, but lingerie on Halloween is not a costume…not even at a lingerie-themed party.
4 of 15
5. Clearly, this was Mariah’s idea.
5 of 15
6. Halloween or not, Blackface is never ok.
6 of 15
7. Kate Upton dressed as a skeleton for Halloween, but she looks more like her everyday self.
7 of 15
8. Perez Hilton as Lady Gaga…no, no.
8 of 15
9. Aubrey O’Day’s peacock makeup was a huge no.
9 of 15
10. Seal dressed as Eve and Heidi Klum as the serpent from the Bible may have sounded like a good idea, until it wasn’t.
10 of 15
11. Chris Brown dressed up as Osama Bin Laden in 2012 and per usual, he caused a media stir.
11 of 15
12. Remember when, in 2015, Kim Kardashian dressed as Kim Kardashian circa 2013. Classic, but not that creative.
12 of 15
13. We wonder how Paris Hilton felt about Matt Lauer walking a day in her stilettos.
13 of 15
14. Ashanti’s costume gives super DIY vibes.
14 of 15
15. Anne Hathaway as an Egyptian goddess is not a total fail. It just doesn’t translate well.
15 of 15