It’s a sad day in Hollywood after news broke that a stunt icon has died on duty.
According to Deadline, Joi “SJ” Harris, who billed herself as the first African-American female road racer, died on Monday while performing a motorcycle stunt on the set of Deadpool 2.
Harris, a Brooklyn, New York native, made her career as an advocate for women of color in the road racing game. She was the first licensed African American women in U.S. history to actively compete in sanctioned motorcycle road racing events. Harris was the stunt double for Zazie Beetz, who plays the mutant Domino in the film.
Just days before the fatal incident, a woman was spotted rocking the costume for Domino while on a black Ducati motorcycle — which had social media questioning whether it was Beetz or a stunt double.
Ryan Reynolds,the star of the film, tweeted about SJ’s shocking death, saying:
The director of the highly anticipated sequel, David Leitch, released a statement, saying, “I’m deeply saddened by the loss of one of our stunt performers today. No words can express how I and the rest of the Deadpool 2 crew feel about this tragedy. Our thoughts are with her family, friends and loves ones in this difficult time.”
Unfortunately, this was Harris’s first film as a stunt performer and she he was not wearing headgear during the scene because her character does not wear a helmet.
Rest in peace, Joi “SJ” Harris. #BlackGirlsRide
Remembering Greatness: The Celebrity Deaths Of 2016
1. Rapper Shawty Lo died in a fiery Atlanta car crash on the morning of Sept. 21.Source: 1 of 13
2. Sportscaster John Saunders passed away suddenly at the age of 61 on Aug. 10. The details surrounding his passing are still unclear.Source: 2 of 13
3. Actor Gene Wilder, best known for his role in ‘Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory,’ died on Aug. 29 from Alzheimer’s disease.Source: 3 of 13
4. Legendary boxer Muhammad Ali passed away on June 3 after a 32-year battle with Parkinson’s.Source: 4 of 13
5. Actor Anton Yelchin, best known for his role as Chekov in ‘Star Wars,’ passed away minutes after a June 19 car accident.Source: 5 of 13
6. Actor Ron Lester died on Aug. 4 of kidney failure. He was best known for his role in ‘Not Another Teen Movie.’Source: 6 of 13
7. ‘The Voice’ star Christina Grimmie was shot dead at 22 years old by a man who opened fire on her while she signed autographs.Source: 7 of 13
8. Legendary singer Prince tragically died from an accidental prescription drug overdose on April 21. He was 57-years-old.Source: 8 of 13
9. WWF wrestler and actress Chyna died from an accidental overdose of Valium and Ambien on April 20. She was 45 years old.Source: 9 of 13
10. ‘Blood, Sweat, & Heels’ reality star Daisy Lewellyn died from a rare form of liver cancer on April 8.Source: 10 of 13
11. Singer Denise Matthews, aka Vanity, died from kidney failure at the age of 57 on Feb. 15. She was Prince’s protegée and ex-girlfriend.Source: 11 of 13
12. Singer Maurice White passed away on Feb. 3 after battling Parkinson’s disease. He was the founder of R&B group Earth, Wind, & Fire.Source: 12 of 13
13. Rock star David Bowie died on Jan. 10 after battling cancer for 18 months. He was 69.Source: 13 of 13
‘Deadpool 2’ Stuntwoman Joi ‘SJ’ Harris Dies On Set was originally published on globalgrind.com